applesauce

Hey Good Lookin' Watcha Got Cookin'?! - Stovetop Applesauce

12:00:00 AM


I really don't think its possible for a recipe to get simpler than this one! One of my friends had an entire bag of apples that she decided she didn't like. It was a mixture of Fuji and Pink Ladies and she said she knew I could use them. I made the Apple Coffee Cake Recipe, some yummy apple crisp and then let the Middles help me turn the rest into Applesauce. Which was devoured within 2 days! You can use any kind of apple for this recipe. I like to mix a few types to give it more flavor.

Middle #2 went to work washing the apples in a sink of water! She LOVED her job and took it very seriously! She was then in charge of drying them and bringing them over for Middle #1!

Middle #1 very carefully and veeeeeeeeeeeery slowly. Let me reiterate that again...veeeeeeeeeery slowly, used the peeler and peeled the apples. He then placed them on the cutting board and used the apple slicer to cut the apples. I showed him how to make sure there were no core or seeds in the apple slices and he tossed them in the pot until it was full!

Insert the mom job! Take apple juice and fill about 2 inches deep (with apples in pot!). Then take cinnamon (you can omit this if you like but we like it in ours!) and sprinkle in about 2 Tbsp. More if you want a more cinnamon flavor. On Medium-Low, bring to a boil with a lid on the pot. I check mine about every 5 minutes and stir it up a bit. You want to make sure the apples do not go "dry" by keeping liquid in the pot! Depending on your pot (I have 1 that is WAY slower than the other...very odd if you ask me!) it should take about 20 minutes for your apples to become soft. Like a checking a potato for making mashed taters! When apples are finished I use a slotted spoon and drop them into a large mixing bowl. I use my hand blender to emulsify and turn it into creamy delicious applesauce. I get asked why I don't use sugar. To be honest the sweetness from the apples and the apple juice is all you need. Going back to basics here! I let cool in bowl on the counter to room temperature and then stick in the fridge.

My kids devour it so the only way I am able to do big batches to can is when they are asleep! But then I am also fighting off the hubby! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do! Have a blessed day!


You Might Also Like

0 comments