big boy

Freezer Paper Stenciling

6:52:00 PM



I have been wanting to show you guys a super easy and fun way to create your own shirts! All by using freezer paper, fabric paints and any article of clothing! I made this project for under $5! My little "Gnomie" got a kick out of it!



Start off by finding a picture you would like to "stencil". I placed the freezer paper over top of the image (shiny side down) and traced out the picture.





Then I moved my freezer paper to my cutting mat and used an exacto knife to cut out the image. I love my exacto knife! So many fun projects you can do with it! I bought myself a new one at Target a few weeks ago and it was only like $6! Soft handled and everything! SCORE!



Place your image onto your shirt to decide where you would like it to ironed on (yes you heard that right!)


I was so excited when I found tee-shirts for $1.25! Can't beat that price!



First by ironing the large area onto your shirt. Do not let the iron sit in one spot for too long as it can burn the shirt and paper! When you are done with the large part then place on your smaller pieces and iron over them as well! I like to go back over the entire image a few times to make sure it is completely sealed on!



When you have finished ironing on your stencil, take another piece of freezer paper (shiny side up!) and place in between the shirt so that the paint will not soak through!



I then take my fabric pain and start from the outer edges (pulling your brush into the shirt not pushing the paint up against the stencil) and fill in all the areas until the picture is completely filled in. I then go back for another round of paint starting from the beginning!



Once the paint is dry (or in my case...almost fully dry!) you can use the end of your exacto knife to peel away the stencil!


And voila...I have a garden gnome!

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. Adorable! OK - yours is the best, simplest tutorial out there. I will be trying this - thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  2. I highlighted this project on my blog today. I hope it was okay. If not, let me know and I'll take it down.
    Jennifer
    www.bigdandme.com
    http://www.bigdandme.com/2011/08/inspired/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the link up Jennifer! That's great!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the gnomes! (And that handsome young model is adorable!) Thanks for sharing - I love using freezer paper and am always looking for more inspiration like this cute shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would love it if you would link this project up at my turquoise lovin' party going on right now!! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/2011/09/turquoise-lovin-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Mimi for the sweet comment! And Sara THANK YOU so much for the link up! It's done! Love, Leish

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you did this with an exacto knife! I think i might need to follow your example and whip one out!

    ReplyDelete